Because the warfare enters its 636th day, these are the principle developments.
Right here is the scenario on Tuesday, November 21, 2023.
- Ukraine stated combating intensified across the Russian-occupied jap city of Bakhmut. Volodymyr Fityo, a spokesperson for Ukrainian floor forces, stated Russia was focusing its assaults on Klishchiivka, a close-by village that was retaken by Ukrainian forces in September. “Eleven assaults have been repelled previously 24 hours,” he stated. “The enemy is making an attempt to dislodge our males from defensive positions round Klishchiivka.” Russia’s defence ministry stated it had overwhelmed again greater than 30 Ukrainian assaults in and round Bakhmut previously week.
- Ukrainian authorities stated three folks have been killed and one injured in Russian shelling within the southern Kherson and the central Dnipropetrovsk areas. Some energy strains and a gasoline pipeline have been additionally broken.
- Ukrainian police stated a soldier and a lady died when a grenade exploded in a Kyiv condominium. The reason for the blast, which injured a second man, was not instantly clear.
- The USA State Division stated it was barring Russian Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov and Russian Guard Corporal Daniil Frolkin from coming into the US over their alleged involvement in human rights violations within the Ukrainian city of Andriivka.
Politics and diplomacy
- Ukraine fired its two high cyber-defence officers – Yury Shchyhol, head of the State Particular Communications Service of Ukraine, and his deputy Victor Zhora – amid an ongoing investigation into corruption over software program purchases.
- Fox Corp Chief Government Lachlan Murdoch travelled to Kyiv the place he met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Ukraine stated the assembly was a “essential sign” of help at a time when the Israel-Gaza warfare has diverted international consideration from the warfare in Ukraine. Zelenskyy stated Fox Information journalist Benjamin Corridor, who was badly wounded protecting the battle final yr, and Jerome Starkey, a journalist with the UK tabloid The Solar have been additionally on the assembly.
- In an interview with The Solar that was additionally revealed within the UK’s Occasions newspaper, which is a part of the identical media group, Zelenskyy accused Russia of making an attempt to stoke rigidity from the Balkans to the Center East. “Ukraine at the moment [is] within the centre of those international dangers of this Third World Warfare,” Zelenskyy stated. Urging Ukraine’s allies to keep up their army help, he acknowledged the dearth of progress on some elements of the battlefield, however famous successes within the Black Sea. “We actually deployed a part of the Russian fleet,” he instructed the paper. “We did it.”
- Russia positioned Ukrainian singer Jamala, who gained the 2016 Eurovision Track Contest, on its needed listing. The unbiased Russian information website Mediazona stated Jamala, whose actual identify is Susana Jamaladinova, had been charged below a legislation that bans spreading faux details about the Russian army and the warfare in Ukraine. Jamala, a Crimean Tatar, has lengthy been a critic of Russia and instructed Zelenskyy final yr that her precedence was to “remind that foreigners got here to my home to kill and mutilate life, to destroy and rewrite my tradition”. She responded to the Russian arrest warrant on Instagram with a facepalm emoji.
- A Japanese delegation led by senior business and overseas ministry officers and together with enterprise representatives visited Ukraine for talks forward of subsequent yr’s Ukraine Restoration Convention, which will probably be hosted by Japan.
- US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin made an unannounced go to to Kyiv and unveiled a further $100m package deal to supply artillery munitions, interceptors for air defence and anti-tank weaponry. Austin promised Zelenskyy that US help could be for the “lengthy haul”. He additionally met with Defence Minister Rustem Umerov.